keskiviikko 26. maaliskuuta 2014

Deep Space Helsinki interviews Max_M





With a Deep Space Helsinki event coming up on Friday 28th March at Kuudes Linja, in Helsinki, DSH crew has been bursting with enthusiasm because our guest is one of the most talented DJs and producers in the steadily growing Italian scene, Max_M. Some may already know him well but there might be some out there who still don't know much about our guest of honor and that's why we decided to have a little chat with our Italian friend so he could shed some light into the life of Max_M and the great label, M_Rec LTD, he runs from his hometown, Milan.



DSH: Hey, Max! How are you?

Max_M: Hi guys, all good over here. Just came back from a weekend in Berlin and I'm full of energy for this Friday!!!

DSH: You live in Milan, Italy. How's the scene over there? What are the hot spots in the city for techno?

Max_M: In Milan the scene in the past few years has been growing. More parties going on lately and in my opinion the best club with quality music + soundsystem is the Dude Club. I do not want to be biased, but it is. :)

DSH:Your record label M_Rec LTD seems to be going from strength to strength with an artist roster to die for and it must take a fair amount of your time these days. On top of that you have also been producing your own music for years now. Can you tell us what´s a typical day like for Max_M?

Max_M: My typical day? I wake up early (I don't like to lose any time out of my day) shower, coffee, I turn on my computer and start to work. First of all I'll check online if anyone has sent any mail, after that I check all M_Rec's stuff; mastering, release schedule, new material, planning, graphic design, meetings etc etc. I do this every day. Boring? No! It's my life and I enjoy it.




DSH: M_Rec LTD has expanded in the last couple of years. You recently started a new 10" series and before that the sub label Grey Series. What's the story behind that?

Max_M: After my gig in Rome at Alchemy where I played with another Italian producer, Fabrizio Lapiana, I had a really good feeling about Fabrizio and I decided to start a new series of 10 inches focusing only on my own and Fabrizio's music. Grey Series you may already know, I started the series after Juho Kahilainen sent me a demo. His music didn't quite fit M_Rec Ltd and I didn't want to lose the opportunity to release his sounds since the tracks were so good. So it's all Juho's fault I started the Grey Series ehheeh... So Grey Series is really about my private taste in electronic/techno music, maybe the point is clear or maybe not, but what I'm looking for 99% of the time with Grey Series is analogue sound without compromise, each artist is free to do whatever they like with the music they want to release.

DSH: You've also talked about techno having a political nature. It seems an interesting view since many people associate techno with hedonism and all-out partying. Can you elaborate a bit on that?

Max_M: I'm not sure if I have talked about techno having a political nature. I have no desire to be a part of any political movement. What I'm saying is that the techno scene is not only dance and clubbing, but a lifestyle, a certain kind of coherence and years of sweat and support even while being in the underground, because that's how it is in Italy. That's my view on techno...

DSH: You've been playing records since the mid-nineties. With that much experience behind you, can you tell us how you prepare yourself for a great DJ set?

Max_M: Yes, I have been djing since the 90's and every time I play I don't prepare my set, just check my vinyls, put the records in my bag and see what happens at the gig. I don't like to have one track in mind to be played in any specific moment, I just see what the mood of the night is, how the people are and what kind of a feeling I get from them. After that I just check which vinyls I have to play in that specific moment. That's it.



DSH: Can you tell us some of your favourite techno records? Do you have any special records that never leave your bag?

Max_M: Too many favourites, it's impossible to choose which ones will never go out of my case. There are often records that remain in the bag for a long time, others are added when I go through my collection. I can not say if there is a favorite record, but I can tell you one record that I often bring with me: Robert Gorl – Sexdrops.

DSH: In your opinion, what makes a great party and do you have any favourite memories of parties you've played in your years as a DJ?

Max_M: Each party has it's own energy and good memories. Sometimes there are weaker parties, but they still leave you with something, while others are so strong and powerful that you carry the memories and smiles within you for years and want to go back to them again and again.

DSH: We are thrilled to have you playing at Kuudes Linja on Friday 28th March. What are you personally looking forward the most about playing over here?

Max_M: I always try not have too many expectations when I'm going to a gig, but what I do know about Helsinki is that I'll be playing with people whom I respect and who have always been a reference point for M_Rec and my taste in music, so I am just looking forward to a good party...



DSH: Seems like you have a very clear vision about what you're doing as a producer, DJ and label manager. Can you tell us some future plans for yourself and the label?

Max_M: I have done a few remixes, the new 10” inch on M_Rec Ltd just came out, and I'm working on my album but who knows when it will be ready. I am very slow in producing my own music but I can tell you that I'm working hard and some tracks are already complete. About M_Rec LTD, all is planned for 2014 and I'm starting to schedule for stuff to be released next year. Of course I can't tell you more about it because that would spoil the fun of not knowing who will be next ;)

DSH: Thanks for the great words, Max. It was great talking to you and expanding our perspective on Max_M and your label. We'll see you soon at Kuudes Linja!

Max: See you very soon. On Friday!!!


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti